It’s amazing how expensive car ownership can be—way beyond purchasing the vehicle.
Every year, there is registration to pay. There are fees for the license plate. There is gasoline to make it go, and oil changes and regular maintenance in our excellent service center to keep it from breaking down. And then there’s auto insurance, which can be the most expensive investment.
The good news is that there are ways you can lower your bill. Let’s take a look at how:
- Keep a clean record. More insurance companies offer good driver discounts. The more accidents you’re involved in, the more you’ll pay in rates. If you are accident-free, talk to your insurance provider about a discount.
- Shop around. If it’s time to renew your insurance policy and the rates are being raised, speak to representatives from other insurance companies. You might be able to save significantly. Some insurance company muckety-mucks assume you’ll stay with them and take the rate increase on the chin. Be careful to compare apples to apples—don’t choose an insurance company because they have a lower rate. Make sure they offer the lower rate for the same coverage you need.
- Select the right vehicle. If you’re watching your budget, don’t buy a big SUV, no matter how much you might want to have one. It’s much more expensive to insure a 5,000-pound top-of-the-line SUV than a smaller vehicle that gets better gas mileage. But if you must, older models are cheaper to insure than new ones.
- Take a defensive driving course. Most insurance companies will give a discount if you’ve taken an accredited defensive driving course.
- Talk to your insurance company agent and see if they offer a discount. If so, sign up for one. They are also available online.
If you’re in the market for a quality used car, truck, crossover or come see us at Barrett Motors. We can help you find a dependable vehicle that you can afford. We’re a buy-here pay-here dealership with a great selection of pre-owned vehicles that have low mileage and are high performance. Our great financing experts will put together a deal that fits your budget. Our entire inventory is online. We want to be your dealership.
Easy Related Posts
Are there certain types of cars with known problems?
There are certain types of vehicles that are known in the car dealer industry to ...read more
How can I know that I’m getting a good, used car?
Barrett Motors dealership sells used vehicles. One concern people have that we run across daily ...read more
Why will Barrett Motors take a chance on me and my bad credit?
Okay. So you have bad credit. You’ve come to us at Barrett Motors—maybe as a ...read more
How is a buy-here pay-here place different?
Although buy-here pay-here dealerships have been around for decades, I’m always surprised by the amount ...read more